Monday, February 23, 2015

Perennials, Perennials, Perennials


February is the busiest time of year for me. I start planting our spring crops during the whole month of February while fighting availabilities, cold weather and even the occasional plants showing up two weeks early. But, even though this entire month I feel like I am running around like a chicken with its head cut off, it is completely worth it. Because I get to do the best part of my job every day. I get to walk through all of my houses and check on my baby perennials. I look for everything from cold damage to fungus spores forming on the new leaves. Sometimes I even sing to them in French. The plants might not want to me do that but they don't really have a choice. Below are some pictures of some perennials that were potted last week.    

  
sunsparkler sedum  

This first picture is of Sedum Sunsparkler Dazzleberry. It will turn into a deep purple when it gets warmer outside. It is a great plant to have as a statement piece in a garden because the interesting foliage color and the breathtaking color of its blooms.
  

 may night salvia


 Then I have a tried and true favorite for our customers. This is Salvia May Night that is blooming right now. I really enjoy watching this plant growing because it starts so small and then turns into this little monster that completely fills its pot and has 3-5 blooms on each plant in a matter of weeks. It is like seeing a kindergartener turn into a high schooler in a few weeks.



  lavender  
 
Last but not least, I have our Lavandula Munstead. Lavandula is always something that I enjoy growing because the foliage smells lovely and the flowers give a wonderful calming feeling during the growing season. Whenever I go to check on this little guy, it reminds me of the natural remedies that the flowers and scent from this plant have to offer.  

By Jessi Faircloth, Assistant Grower, Loma Vista Nursery

No comments:

Post a Comment