Thursday, November 13, 2014

New Shrubs for Your Plant Palette


Throughout the year, I try to make regular trips to the container farm.  Sometimes I have a specific goal in mind, but often I just like to drive through each section, taking note of what catches my attention.  If it turns my head, chances are it could turn heads at the garden center or in a landscape.  I especially like to keep my eyes on plants that are new to our production schedule.  The following are some of my favorites from this year.

 Lemon Candy Ninebark

Lemon Candy Ninebark

Looking for a compact accent plant?  Or maybe a colorful hedge? This ninebark fits the bill!  Not only does it boast that eye-catching chartreuse color that has been so hot, but it is also compact and has been found to be tolerant of urban pollution.

 Tutti Fruitti Butterfly Bush

Tutti Fruitti Pink Butterfly Bush

New to our production schedule this year, this compact butterfly bush was impressive!  Vibrant color, very fragrant, and a nice growth habit.  On my last trip to the farm, I was first lured over by the prolific blooms.  But then I noticed the abundance of butterflies.  And the fragrance!

Next Generation Cotton Candy Hydrangeas  

Hydrangea Next Generation Cotton Candy

Re-blooming, color changing, very sturdy stems.  What else do I need to say?!  This Ball Ornamental exclusive mophead hydrangea looked so great this year.  Every time I visited the farm, the crop would catch my eye with lush, dark green foliage, and standout color on stand up stems.

Little Quick Fire Hydrangea  

Hydrangea Little Quick Fire

I saved the best for last.  We all love Quick Fire for it's early blooms.  But sometimes bigger isn't always better.  Little Quick Fire is the compact version topping out at 3-5ft.  We have been pretty impressed with this plant.  And for an added bonus... the fall color! 

As you sit down to work on your bookings for 2015, you should definitely consider adding some of these new varieties to your palette.  Do you have any favorites to add to this list? 
 
By Caitlin Hupp, Sales Representative, Loma Vista Nursery

No comments:

Post a Comment