Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Tough and Easy to Grow


It's cold outside and the memories of our hot summer have all but faded away. I might have been complaining about the heat last summer (I was six months pregnant so I had a good excuse to whine), but now I'm wishing the heat back.

 

I saw this succulent bowl on a friend's patio last year and it really caught my eye. I took this to our growers and they said "go for it". Look for mixed succulent bowls on our availability late spring. Our mixed bowls will feature the Sunsparkler Series of sedums (bred by Chris Hansen of
www.sunsparklersedums.com) along with other succulents.





Sunsparkler Dazzleberry
Sunsparkler Dazzleberry
 


 Sunsparkler Lime Zinger

 
What is so great about sedums? Aside from being tough and easy to grow, they are available in a wide range of colors, foliage types, height, and flower color. When you plant several varieties together, it really looks spectacular. At my house, between the stone steppers that lead to our patio, we planted a combination of Angelina, Blue Spruce, Acre Aurea, Kamtschaticum ellacombeanum, and Dragon's Blood. It looks great and I never have to water it. This spring Loma Vista will have some Sedum hak. Chocolate Ball that we are trying out. I'm excited to add that color to our mix.  
 
 
Chocolate Ball Sedum
 

Whether you are planting on a roof top, a vertical wall, a border to your landscape bed, or just looking for something for your hot, sunny patio table - sedums can do the trick. Mixed containers make an easy table centerpiece that holds up to the hot summer. 
By Lyndsi Oeastmann, Vice President, Loma Vista Nursery   

No comments:

Post a Comment