Friday, December 13, 2013

Aesculus pavia, The Red Buckeye

As I wait for the snow season to start here in Minnesota, I imagine my yard in spring. I think about what new plants I can use to entice the hummingbirds to visit.

Aesculus pavia
One plant that is new to Loma Vista Nursery that would be perfect for my vision is the Aesculus pavia, the Red Buckeye. Its bright red panicles of flowers bloom in late spring. It grows 12-15' tall and wide and is hardy to zone 4. It does well in full sun to part shade and prefers a moist but well drained soil. This tree is perfect for the back edge of a hummingbird garden. I can see it in my yard with shady perennials such as Hosta, Lobelia, Coral Bells, Columbine, Monarda and Foxglove planted underneath. A burst of color that will surely give these wonderful birds a summer feast!
Aesculus pavia is one of many container trees now on sale at Loma Vista if booked and shipped before December 24th.
Kate Williams, Sales Representative, Loma Vista Nursery

No comments:

Post a Comment